Bauhaus

1990 TR12. Discovered 1990 Oct. 14 by F. Borngen and L. D. Schmadel at Tautenburg.

Named for the school of design founded in 1919 by the German architect W. Gropius (1883-1969) in Weimar {see planet (3539)}. The school's philosophy emphasized the unity of fine art and trade as the basis for artistic work. By incorporating engineering, the way was open for industrial design. The Bauhaus moved to Dessau in 1925 and was closed by the Nazis for its "decadence" in 1932. Many Bauhaus masters emigrated to the United States. In 1937, the New Bauhaus was founded by L. Moholy-Nagy (1895-1946) in Chicago. (M 32350) Name proposed by the first discoverer.

0 0

Post a comment