Ghent

1998 OO14. Discovered 1998 July 26 by E. W. Elst at La Silla.

Named for the Flemish city Ghent (or Gand), capital of the province of East Flanders. One of the oldest cities (seventh century) in Belgium, united in wealthy guilds, it was virtually independent until 1584. Its prosperity was and is still based on the cloth industry. The city will be always commemorated in the Pacification of Ghent (1576) and the Treaty of Ghent (1814). It is now the second largest Belgian port. It is also a horticultural center and every five years holds a great flower show known as "Les Floralies". (M 34630)

0 0

Post a comment