Haworth

1952 FM. Discovered 1952 Mar. 30 at the Goethe Link Observatory at Brooklyn, Indiana.

Named in honor of Leland J. Haworth, a graduate of Indiana University and second director of the National Science Foundation. His long and varied career included high school teaching, academic appointments at Wisconsin, MIT, and Illinois, director of the Brookhaven National Laboratory, vice-president and president of Associated Universities, Inc. (AUI), member of the Atomic Energy Commission, and director of the National Science Foundation from 1963 to 1969. He conducted the negotiations which led to the joint funding by NSF and the Ford Foundation of a 4 meter telescope at the Cerro Tololo Interamerican Observatory. (M 4156) Proposed by Frank K. Edmondson.

0 0

Post a comment