Lestone

1952 SW1 . Discovered 1952 Sept. 22 by L. E. Cunningham at Mount Wilson.

Named for Leighton Buzzard, a small market town in south Bedfordshire, England. The town is recorded in the Domesday Book (1086) as Lestone, and later variations of the name include Leyton and Leighton. The suffix Buzzard is believed to have been added in the twelfth century and to be a corruption of the family name of the first town prebendary, Thoebald de Busar. (M 29147)

Name suggested by G. V. Williams, who made the identifications for this object and who grew up in the town.

0 0

Post a comment