Panticapaeon

1977 EO. Discovered 1977 Mar. 9 by N. S. Chernykh at Nauchnyj.

Named for an ancient town, the capital of a Bospor realm dating back to the sixth century B.C., located at the site of the present town of Kerch {see also planet (2216)} in the eastern Crimea. This minor planet is dedicated to the Kerch Historical-Archaeological Museum, the main repository of the Panticapaeon archaeological materials. Founded in 1826, the Kerch Museum makes a valuable contribution to the investigation of the ancient history of the region and acquaints the general public with the remote past of the region. (M 34622)

0 0

Post a comment