Versailles

1990 SS5. Discovered 1990 Sept. 22 by E. W. Elst at La Silla.

Named for the city, site of the grandiose palace and start of the French revolution in 1789. In 1624 Louis XIII had a small castle built there, some 17 km from Paris, to serve as a lodge after his hunts in the surrounding woods. The present palace was built by Louis XIV, who moved his entire staff there in 1682, while carefully maintaining the old hunting lodge. The palace was substantially altered by Louis XV, and it is known for its magnificent gardens and 'Salle du jeu de paume'. (M 25445)

0 0

Post a comment