Thousands of years ago, people believed thai there were many gods in the heavens above. They believed that the gods made the Sun rise, the weather change, the oceans move, and even made people fall in love! The people made up stories, or myths, about the gods and their great powers. Many of the characters in these myths can be found in the shapes of the stars. These "star pictures" are called constellations. There are 88 constellations in the sky. but not all of them can be seen from one location. Some are only visible in the Southern Hemisphere while others can only be seen in the Northern Hemisphere. Some are also best observed only in certain seasons. Look at some of the constellations on the previous pages. Pick one or create your own and write a myth about it. Follow the directions below.
1. On a lined sheet of 8 i " x II" paper, write your name, the title of your myth, and the myth.
2. Glue the paper on the right side of a 12" x 18" piece of black construction paper.
3. In the box below, design your constellation using star stickers.
4. Connect the stars to show your constellation and add details.
5. Cut out and glue your constellation on the left side of the construction paper.
Was this article helpful?