Pin (to make a pinhole)
Long cardboard tube (an old paper towel roll will work great)
1. Cover one end of the cardboard tube with aluminum foil and make a pinhole in the foil at the top.
2. Carefully cut a square viewing port, or hole, on the side of the tube near the opposite end. CL " 1
3. Cover that end, but not the viewing port, with white cardboard.
1. Stand with your back towards the Sun. Do not look at the Sun.
2. Hold the viewing port end in one hand and rest the foil end on your shoulder.
3. Move your hand until the sunlight shines directly down the tube and the Sun's image appears on the white cardboard!
Was this article helpful?